Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sunday Salon: How to Save a Life

 Good morning Saloners!  It was a nice shorter week because my kids didn't have school on Monday.  It was like a mini-vacation!  We used the day off to do an early workout (I thought it was fun to work out side-by-side with my kids, although they may not agree), then catch a movie.   We were all pretty excited to see "The Secret World of Arrietty", which is a Japanese anime film written by Hayao Miyazaki.  If you've never seen a Miyazaki film, I might even dare to say you've not lived.  His most famous of movies is "Spirited Away", which won an Oscar, but they are all magical.  We've seen them all.


My daughter and I finished our training at the animal shelter.  Now we will be turned loose from here on out to do our thing.  After spending five hours there yesterday, and four hours there earlier in the week, I have nothing but good things to say about the place.  It is clean, the animals are treated with care and respect, and they have a great volunteer program for families (for kids between 12 and 18 and their parent).  It is hard for me to find words to express the emotion I experienced when my daughter and I were able to match up three dogs and one cat with families that would adopt them, take them home, and love them.  Like this pretty girl here: 

















We also started volleyball practice for both of the kids.  I lost a couple hours of sleep one night trying to figure out how, once my parents go back home to Indiana, I am going to juggle the volleyball, personal training, horseback lessons, and animal shelter volunteerism schedules.  But I did figure it out, I just had to get creative.  The end of April can't come soon enough.  


We had our Books, Babes and Bordeaux book club meeting on Thursday night to discuss "This Beautiful Life" by Helen Schulman.  A couple of people liked the book well enough, but the majority experienced emotions ranging from dislike to disgust.  It made for good discussion!  Next month we will be reading "Finding Salvation at the Dairy Queen" by Susan Gregg Gilmore, who is an adorable and talented author.


This week it became apparent to me that until the current schedule changes, I'm going to get a majority of my books completed via audio, because of all the driving around and not enough sitting.  I did finish "The Dovekeepers" by Alice Hoffman on audio this week, and while it took some effort to get through, it was worth it.  It may have been a tad "smart" for me, but I am still sharp enough to recognize a masterpiece when I see one.  I then jumped right into "Cold Sassy Tree" by Olive Ann Burnes, which is the March selection for the Heathrow Literary Society.  I can't say I'm in love with it, but it has been entertaining so far.  I have a feeling this is one that may sneak up on me.  Has anyone read this?  What do you think?


In print, I am still reading Sarah Pekkanen's "Opposite Of Me".  I'm actually only 25% through the book after a week.  Pekkanen is very easy to read, so this is just an indication of the type of week I'm having.  Actually, let me back step and tell you that I did sneak in there and read "The Orchard" by Theresa Weir, which was a wonderful memoir and took only a day for me to get through.  My husband is out of town now for five days, so I may get more traction by reading at night.  


Next week's Sunday Salon should be a doozy.  On top of the weekly stuff, I've got my Adult Literacy League event on Thursday, I am sitting on a panel at Sleuthfest on Friday, and my daughter's birthday is on Saturday.  Bring on the energy drinks!






22 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Oh, how I loved The Orchard! I read Cold Sassy Tree years ago and remember loving it.

Do I see a dog in your future?

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I absolutely could not work at a shelter and not bring someone home every time!

Zibilee said...

I am like Jill and would have to bring an animal home each time I was working, but I am glad to hear the experience is going well and is not traumatic for anyone. It does sound like you will be having a busy week, and I wish you the best with it. I actually am hoping to read The Orchard very soon as well. It sounds like an incredible story. Have an excellent week!

JoAnn said...

I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before you end up bringing an animal (or two or three) home from the shelter! I read Cold Sassy Tree for book club ages and ages ago. The only thing I remember is my lukewarm reaction... and the exceptional hilltop view and pot luck dinner at that meeting.

Carrie K. said...

I read Cold Sassy Tree ages and ages ago - in high school, I think? - and remember enjoying it very much at the time, but don't remember anything else about it.

Anonymous said...

I'm sad I wasn't able to be at book club this week! But I'm glad to hear that I wasn't the only one who didn't like the book. I actually kind of hated it.

Yay for rescue organizations/shelters! I got my dog from a pet rescue and I couldn't be more pleased with how perfect she is. :) I would want to take all the animals home, though. Too hard.

Anonymous said...

First time commenting...just wanted to weigh in on Cold Sassy Tree. I can't imagine listening to this book simply because of the dialect that is soooo important to the story. It would take a very special reader to do it right, and the wrong reader could actually ruin the story. It's just a charming book...I urge you to read it sometime, rather than listening to it. Pat

Unknown said...

Your pace continues to amaze me!!
I too would wind up adopting if I worked at an animal shelter....I'm so easy!
Have a wonderful week Sandy!

Darlene said...

Sandy, I don't know how you keep up! What an awesome thing to do with your daughter at the animal shelter. I've often thought about volunteering some at ours. It's nice and close to home too which is a plus. The only thing is I'd want to bring most of them home and somehow I doubt Sam would be too happy about that.

Hope you have a good week. Sounds crazy busy as usual!

Unknown said...

Who's a cute dog?! I think you'll end up with another animal very soon. From the time C.J. worked at the pound we ended up with two dogs permanently, two cats for two months and one pregnant guinea pig who gave birth the three more.

Jenners said...

It must have been so rewarding to find families for those animals!! What a great feeling that must be. Glad to hear the shelter was a good experience. I hope it continues to be.

I'm sure you'll figure out your crazy schedule -- you always do. : )

caite said...

Since my last dog, as well as both Sammy and bandit were adopted, I have nothing but great things to say about shelters and adoption facilities..so many sweet doggies that need a loving home.

Gavin said...

I can't wait to see "The Secret World of Arrietty". Miyazaki is a favorite of mine.

We've been visiting the shelter to find a buddy for Cassandra and I am so impressed by the caring volunteers. Thanks to you and your daughter for taking on this work. Have a wonderful week, Sandy.

christina said...

Sandy I seriously don't know how you do it. I'm exhausted just reading this post.

Soooo glad to hear about the shelter. I always worry about how decent they are. I've only known that Sanford is a no kill shelter, but don't know anything about cleanliness and love.

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

You are one busy woman! My daughter wants to see Arrietty. She loved Spirited Away! I am glad to hear your shelter is a good one. It must be very rewarding to help find homes for the animals there. It's nice to hear good pet stories!

Julie P. said...

My husband is out of town too so I'm getting some reading done! Started THE DOVEKEEPERS today.

Marie Cloutier said...

I loved hearing about your shelter work- how wonderful. I would love to do that but with my husband's allergies I would have to undergo nuclear decontamination after every trip. But it's God's work to care for those animals!

Heidenkind said...

So did you like The Secret World of Arriety?

Serena said...

you're going to have a great time at the shelter. I would love to volunteer at one...but alas my little one is too little for that right now...maybe when she is older.

Unknown said...

I'm so pleased that you and your daughter are enjoying work at the shelter. I'd love to go and help out at one at some point, but I do worry about bringing animals home. I don't think I could resist them all. Good luck!

Kathleen said...

I'm happy to hear you found your time at the shelter so rewarding. This is something that I've always wanted to do and so far haven't done. It sounds like you have some very busy months ahead. You need a wife! ha!

The Bumbles said...

I adored Cold Sassy Tree! Will look forward to reliving it through your future review - whether you love it or not :0)

And nope, no way could I work at a vet or shelter or pet store - they would all come home with me. Which is why Andy does not allow me within 5 miles of any of them. The animals are not allowed to outnumber the humans in our house.

Happy b-day to your daughter - hope she has a great one!