Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sunday Salon: Dad's Valentines

 A happy Sunday morning to you all!  All of my weeks are busy, but I must say that this one was definitely on the less hectic end of the scale.  Oh I had things going on...my workouts, yard work, window cleaning, house cleaning, some Adult Literacy League work, blah blah.  But overall we were able to eat dinner together at a reasonable hour, and I didn't feel like I was chasing my tail.  That is sure to end in the next week when both kids start volleyball with different practice schedules.  And when my daughter and I begin to volunteer at the animal shelter, which starts next week as well.  I will once again be serving meals out of the crock pot at 8pm once all that kicks off.


Although Valentines Day was on Tuesday, we chose to celebrate on Wednesday because my daughter had horseback riding lessons on V-Day.  My dad offered to take the whole family out to dinner, and we chose Le Coq Au Vin, a little local mom and pop French place right up the road where the food is DIVINE!  Even in my dietary mode, I left there euphoric.


But that wasn't it for dad.  He also bestowed Valentines gifts on us.  He gave me a heart-shaped necklace that has an inscription on the back that says "My little girl yesterday, my friend today, my daughter forever".  How precious is that?  And my dad is not a shopper, he is a simple farmer.  I was touched.  He also built me this Adirondack chair for my front porch:




I even got a chance to SIT in it for awhile this week and read!

Speaking of reading...I did finish River Jordan's "Praying For Strangers" this week, and it made such a big impact on me.  In fact, I approached a number of women in a prayer group at school and demanded they read it.  I just did start Sarah Pekkanen's "Opposite of Me" to complete my Pekkanen binge until her new book is released.  

On audio, I finished the delightful "A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty" by Joshilyn Jackson, and readers, it is GOOD.  Maybe not quite as perfect as "Gods in Alabama" but darned close.  Then I dug in and am attempting to finish "The Dovekeepers" by Alice Hoffman.  I didn't share this with you originally, but our Skype book club is discussing this one at the end of the month, and the only audio format available at the library was MP3.  So I attempted to just listen to it in the car, but I ran out of time before it had to go back.  This is such an arduous listen.  My library then picked it up on regular audio discs, so I'm back on the case and working my way through it.  Jury is out on my opinion.  It is interesting, and the writing is beautiful, I can say that.

I just signed my daughter up for high school.  OMG help me.  I just had to get that off my chest.  

We have little planned for today, except for horse.  The kids actually have Friday and Monday off, so the kids and I may take in a movie tomorrow.  I'm hoping to do a little reading and get caught up on some reviews.  Anything exciting happening in your world?







21 comments:

Ana S. said...

What lovely gifts from your dad! The inscription is so sweet.

bermudaonion said...

Aw, what a sweet dad you have. Be sure to treasure him while you can. My dad always gave my sister and I valentines.

I thought A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty was Jackson's best, but Gods in Alabama is right up there.

Praying For Strangers is wonderful and when you meet River you know how that book was written from her heart.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Wow, great stuff from your dad! Our neighborhood bookclub picked The Dovekeepers also, and I put my name on the library wait list and haven't even gotten close so I decided to skip it; the plot line didn't sound all that great to me. Glad to hear it's not thrilling you!

Anonymous said...

It's always nice to have weeks where you're not running around like a crazy person all the time, I'm glad you got some nice time with your family in this week. :) And I've always wondered about Le Coq Au Vin, I'm glad to hear it's a good place. It looks nice from the outside but the sign that says "Bon appetit y'all" made me think it was some kind of joke of a French restaurant, LOL! So now I want to try it!

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

What a wonderful dad you have! That chair is wonderful, as is the necklace! I'm sure you will treasure them both always!

I am looking forward to A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty as soon as the library gets it. I may have to break down and use my gift card on it!

Isn't it hard signing your kids up for high school? So many emotions! My youngest will graduate this year. Why do they have to grow up so fast?

JoAnn said...

How sweet your father is! The inscription is beautiful and I am blown away by the handmade Adirondack chair. They are so comfortable. I have one near the lake and can't wait to sit in it again. Hope you get a chance to do the same with yours...
And high school?? Things are about to ramp up another notch - good luck!

Unknown said...

OMG, Your dad is such a doll! The necklace sounds beautiful especially with the inscription but I just love the adirondack chair...a perfect spot ot sit and read.
I love that you went out to dinner as a family for Valentine's Day, that's so nice, Sandy.

I'm glad you had a relatively quiet week since it sounds like things are going to start getting really busy.

Happy Reading :o)

Melody said...

What lovely gifts from your dad!! I'm sure you'll treasure them always!

Have a great week ahead and happy reading!

Jenners said...

The gifts from your dad are beyond sweet!! I would have burst into tears. Hard to tell which one is more amazing!!

Carrie K. said...

What a sweet dad. :) I just got A Grown Up Kind of Pretty from the library on audio - can't wait to get to it!

And the high school thing, I know - it's crazy! I'm having a hard time believing Natalie is already halfway through her freshman year.

Trisha said...

Your dad is awesome.

Anonymous said...

I love the chair! Your dad rocks!

And do you need us to all start whining in the comments to help you acclimate to having a high schooler? I'm sure we can all channel our high school years and do our part.

*slams door and leaves*

Anonymous said...

Oh! And funny dad story for you...

My dad once gave me a b-day card but he didn't sign it. He wanted me to be able to re-use it. I think that might have been the only card he ever gave me, too.

My dad was weird.

Marie Cloutier said...

what a beautiful gift from your father :-) it kind of brought tears to my eyes. and i love celebrating valentine's day "late" because the restaurants aren't as crowded- you can actually have a good time! :-)

Zibilee said...

Your dad sounds like such a sweet man, and that chair is beautiful! I can't believe that your daughter is ready for high school already! It seems too soon!!

I am listening to Gods in Alabama right now, and am enthralled. I hope to read Backseat Saints next, and have already ordered A Grown Up Kind of Pretty on audio as well. I am loving her style.

I hope that this week is a good one for you. I am looking forward to seeing you at book club!

Ti said...

What great gifts!!

I have to sign the boy up for high school this year too! UGH. Well, his middle school does it really but I have to do all the other stuff.

Alyce said...

Your dad's gifts are so sweet! I wish you luck with your busy schedule - it does sound like things are going to be hectic for you. My boys are talking about signing up for baseball, but I've still got my head in the sand, hoping that one of them will decide to do something else. I honestly don't know how I'll manage practices and games for both boys when my husband travels for work.

Unknown said...

What an amazing chair! I don't know anyone that could build something like that - what a fantastic talent. I hope you get the chance to read many books in it this Summer.

Julie P. said...

High school? Ack! I don't even want to think about that...

Melissa said...

oooh, love the chair!! I've been in a terrible audio slump lately. I literally haven't listened to anything for months. Maybe I need to find another Joshilyn Jackson to listen to. I've only listened to the Swimming one.

Kathleen said...

Your dad sounds as sweet as you are Sandy! Wow, your daughter is going to high school next year? My son is graduating in a few months. I can still remember that fear and trepidation I felt when I signed him up to start school as a Freshman. Don't worry you will survive the next 4 years and will have plenty to blog about, I'm guessing!