Friday, September 3, 2010

RIP V - How can I say no?


I am a disgruntled challenge participant. I want to read what I want, but feel compelled to keep hacking at my current outstanding challenges. I need another challenge like a hole in the head...but really, guys, it's the RIP Challenge (Readers Imbibing Peril) hosted by Carl. I participated last year, and it was such fun. When I looked at books that I've already read and reviewed in September, I figured I already have Peril the First in the bag (for you Peril newbies, I have to read four mysteries/thrillers/gothics/supernaturals from September 1 to October 31). So here is what I am going to offer to the challenge:


Already read
61 Hours - Lee Child

The Prince of Mist - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
In the Woods - Tana French
Coffee and Fate - R.J. Erbacher
A Reliable Wife - Robert Goolrick

In Process or on the bedside table

Faithful Place - Tana French

Innocent Until Interrogated - Gary Stuart
The Strain - Guillermo del Toro
The City and the City - China Meiville
Beautiful Lies - Lisa Unger


There is nothing like a little murder, a few ghosts and a big spooky house to get you in the mood for Halloween. Come on and join the fun!


21 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Have fun with the challenge!

Jo-Jo said...

What fun...I might have to join this one too!

Michele said...

Knew we'd rope you in, LOL!

Stephanie said...

Faithful Place is on my RIP list too!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

As far as I'm concerned, what could be scarier than the fact that it is almost Halloween ALREADY?!!!

Jenners said...

Ha! You caved!! Good for you! I'm actually considering just blowing off the rest of my challenges that I've lost interest in. I mean, I really really don't want to read "The Autobiography of Malcolm X" just to get an X author.

(But I bet you I end up reading it ... probably the last week of December or something.)

Glad you're joining the fun!

Trisha said...

RIP is THE BEST CHALLENGE EVER. Glad you joined up!

caite said...

the only one I am familiar with is The Strain..which I liked quite a bit...

gautami tripathy said...

Wonderful choices. I liked In the Woods.

Happy reading!

Do check out the books I already read for RIP V. Also you will find my tentative read list.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

You're in the mood for RIP, with a post full of "hacking" and "holes in the head"

Good luck with the challenge!

ds said...

YIPPEE!!! Very curious to know your opinion of China Mieville--Perdido Street Station is around here somewhere. So glad you decided to join :D

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I've only completed one challenge so far in my short blogging life (7 months) but I am so all over this one...we even have a little cool wind here in Mississippi today to add to the ambiance of an approaching fall. Fall is my favorite time of year and I know RIP will be my favorite challenge!!

Carl V. Anderson said...

I'm glad you didn't say 'no' and went ahead and decided to dive on in. I just picked up In the Woods on audio to begin listening to this next week on my trips to and from, and for, work. I hope you enjoy the heck out of whatever you choose to read for the challenge.

Alice said...

Hi Sandy, I have been thinking about this for the last few days and decided to just do it. Do my best and forget the rest, that sort of stuff. Have fun with it! LOL

Gavin said...

Yeah! So glad you are joining in.

Literary Feline said...

I found this one to be too irresistible too, Sandy. :-) And considering you've already completed Peril 1, I'd say your off to an excellent start!

Unknown said...

I have a feeling that you'll love The Strain, but I look forward to your thoughts on it.

I really hope that you'll enjoy The City and the City too, but it is very different. Enjoy!

Kathleen said...

I can't believe I say no to this one but only because I say no to all challenges these days. This one is custom made for me but I enjoy hearing all about the books you all pick and read and blog about. My TBR pile will be growing by leaps and bounds over the next month!

Ana S. said...

Enjoy your picks, Sandy! I think I'd really love The City and the City myself.

Kailana said...

The Strain was really good! I am hoping to read the sequel soon depending on my library!

Michele said...

Carey (Tome Traveller) and I just finished The Strain and the arc of the second one in the series, The Fall.....gory fun!